Walker MN – Things To Do In The Winter
January 5, 2017
Looking for things to do in Walker, MN during the winter months? From ice fishing, to shopping, to snowmobiling, skiing and more, Walker offers the perfect winter escape. After weeks at a time indoors a short trip and some time in a new place can help renew and refresh you after months traveling from home to work and back, trying to avoid winter. In this post we will explore all Walker has to offer, so you can get out and have a good time this winter.
Skiing and Snowshoeing In Walker MN
Looking to get outside and away from the city, to enjoy a little bit of nature this winter. Walker offers several great options for skiing and snowshoeing that allow you to traverse or glide through unspoiled national forest and recreation areas.
- Shingobee Recreation Area – With 12 km of groomed trails for both classic and skate skiing with flat and lightly sloped areas for beginners, as well as some steeper terrain and sharp corners for experts, skiers of all ages will enjoy a day a Shingobee. It also offers access to the North Country Scenic Trail as well, so if 12 km isn’t enough you can transition over to the North Country Scenic Trail System. Shingobee also offers an amazing sledding park with a chalet for families looking to enjoy the winter weather, and many opportunities to explore the forest on Snowshoes.
- The North Country Trial – This trail offers the perfect opportunity to snowshoe the forest and explore nature with no bugs and no mud! It is also widely used by XC skiers who in enjoy un-groomed back-country skiing through the dense forests of the area.
Snowmobiling in Walker MN
- Leech Lake is so large (Minnesota’s third largest in fact) it offers a snowmobiling opportunity in itself with miles of perfectly flat terrain and often thick snow-cover, with easy access from Walker.
- Heartland State Trail – This extremely well maintained trail system offers access to Hundreds of miles of other state trails and leads from Walker to Park Rapids. It offers sharp and rolling terrain which makes it a wonderful ride on snowmobiles.
- Paul Bunyan State Trail – With 115 miles of groomed trail, a wide variety of terrain and very few road crossings, this trail offers snowmobile enthusiasts the ability to travel from Walker to Bemidji and beyond.
Winter Shopping In Walker MN
Enjoy a day in Walkers close nit downtown exploring the wide variety of shopping options, from local clothing, to northwoods decorations, outdoor gear and more.
- Christmas Point Wild Rice Co. – Offering a eclectic collection of northwoods furnishings, Leech Lake and Walker, MN branded clothing, and an astonishing selection of MN grown wild rice and other local products you are sure to find something unique here.
- Reeds Family Outdoor Outfitters – Love the outdoors, Reeds has a huge variety of outdoor supplies from ice fishing equipment, hunting gear, and winter sports supplies.
- 513 Mainstream – Offering specialty men and women’s clothing this local boutique offers unique and fashionable clothing.
- Lundgrigans Clothing – In operation since 1937 they offer a wide array of fashionable and outdoor oriented clothing options.
Ice Fishing In Walker MN
Everyone’s favorite winter activity in Walker is ice fishing on Leech Lake, recently named one of North Americas Top 10 ice fishing destinations. With great options for winter lodging that include ice fishing guides and ice houses as part of your stay, ice fishing was never more fun or comfortable. Stay in a heated and furnished ice house while you fish one of the US’s top ice fishing lakes. With easy lake access to Walker and it’s many shops and restaurants.
Restaurants In Walker MN
Walker has many great restaurants to enjoy after spending a long day on the ice or trials. From amazing BBQ to Steak, and more here are Walkers top three restaurants (Based on TripAdvisor ratings).
- The Boulders – Known for their great steaks and seafood options, they are know for their entrees and have a large and diverse menu.
- The Piggy BBQ – Written about in the New York Times, they offer some of the best BBQ in the state.
- Jimmy’s Family Restaurant – Known for their delicious breakfast’s and large portions start your morning off here.