Family-Friendly Fun at Leech Lake With Top Attractions and Activities for Kids
June 16, 2023
Experience the epitome of lake living at Leech Lake, a magnificent 112,000-acre oasis nestled in northern Minnesota. If you find yourself in Walker, MN, you and your family can enjoy easy access to Leech Lake through Walker Bay, where you can indulge in fishing, boating, and swimming adventures. For nature enthusiasts, the area offers an array of exhilarating land-based activities, including hiking, biking, and even horseback riding trails that will captivate both you and your little ones.
When visiting Leech Lake in Walker, rest assured that family-friendly dining options, entertainment, and cultural experiences abound. Dive into the rich history of the region at the Cass County Museum, where the past comes alive. For the young ones, delightful children’s productions await at the live performing theater, guaranteeing their entertainment and laughter. And when hunger strikes, you’ll find an assortment of kid-friendly dishes to satisfy their appetites, ranging from classic breakfast delights to pizza, burgers, and scrumptious ice cream treats. Leech Lake in Walker has everything you need for an unforgettable family getaway.
Fishing and Boating on Leech Lake
In Walker, you have the option to embark on a thrilling fishing adventure either by boat on Walker Bay or just off the city docks. Prepare yourself for an exciting angling experience as Leech Lake is home to a diverse range of fish species, ensuring plenty of opportunities to reel in some impressive catches. Here are some of the species you can target:
- Walleye: Known for their delicious flavor and elusive nature, walleye is a prized catch in Leech Lake. Their clever hiding spots and impressive fighting abilities make them a thrilling challenge for any angler.
- Muskie: As the apex predator of Leech Lake, muskies provide an adrenaline-pumping pursuit. Known as the “fish of ten thousand casts,” these powerful and elusive giants offer an unforgettable fishing experience.
- Rock bass: These feisty fighters may be smaller in size, but their scrappy nature and willingness to bite make them a fun catch for anglers of all ages.
- Northern pike: With their sharp teeth and voracious appetite, northern pike provide an exhilarating challenge. These aggressive predators can put up quite a fight, making them a sought-after species for anglers.
- Largemouth bass: Leech Lake is also home to largemouth bass, known for their impressive jumps and strong fights. Anglers can enjoy the thrill of reeling in these iconic sportfish.
- Perch: With their delicate flavor and abundant populations, perch offer a rewarding and tasty catch. Anglers of all skill levels can enjoy the excitement of catching these panfish.
- Eelpout: Also known as burbot, eelpout are a unique and fascinating species. These bottom-dwellers are highly adaptable and put up a surprising fight when hooked.
- Crappie: Anglers seeking a delicious and plentiful catch will appreciate the presence of crappie in Leech Lake. These tasty panfish can be found in good numbers and provide fun-filled fishing action.
- Bluegill/Sunfish: Perfect for introducing young anglers to the joys of fishing, bluegill and sunfish are abundant in Leech Lake. Their willingness to bite and colorful appearance make them a delight to catch.
For an exceptional fishing experience, consider booking a fishing charter with Grants’ Leech Lake Guide. Their expert guide, equipped with premier fishing equipment and extensive knowledge of Leech Lake, ensures a memorable outing for your family. If you’re looking to enjoy the beauty of Leech Lake from a different perspective, a 2 to 3-hour sailing boat charter with Sailing Daze offers the perfect opportunity for sightseeing and insights into the area’s rich history.
Walker City Park has activities for all ages at a level of physical activity you may prefer. From playing an active volleyball game on the sand to relaxing at a picnic table eating lunch, all can enjoy Walker City Park. Some park amenities include:
- A beach for swimming
- Volleyball courts
- Tennis courts
- Boat docking
- Picnic areas
- A playground
The smallest child and adults can enjoy the playground equipment, which includes swings of all sizes, climbing equipment, and slides. In addition, restrooms are located in the park, so the fun can continue without interruption.
The Chippewa National Forest offers more fishing and boating opportunities, along with canoeing and great cabin options. Whether staying at a premier Leech Lake resort or staying at one of Walker’s hotel’s, you will have access to all the family-friendly fun available in Walker.
Heartland State Trail is a 49-mile paved trail that runs through Walker from Park Rapids to Cass Lake. The whole family can bike or hike along the trail and back for a scenic and wildlife experience. Parallel to the Heartland paved trail from Walker to Park Rapids runs a natural surface trail for horseback riding.
Hiking or biking six miles south on the Shingobee Connection Trail, also paved, will connect you to the Paul Bunyan Trail, a paved 115 miles long trail extending from Crow Wing State Park to Lake Bemidji State Park for more hiking and biking fun. This connection trail can also direct you to the North Country National Scenic Trail through the Chippewa National Forest.
On Minnesota Ave., various dining options are available for family dining, including Bensons, which offers homestyle family favorites like handmade pizzas or a full-pound Leech Lake burger. Another option is to go to the Village Square Pizza & Ice Cream Parlor for dinner and dessert for the whole family.
Consider The Piggy BBQ of Walker restaurant on Minnesota Ave W. if your family loves BBQ. There, you can dine on ribs, brisket, pulled pork, mac and cheese, and more. For breakfast, try the Outdoorsman Cafe, next to the Piggy BBQ of Walker, for lumberjack-sized portions and flavorful breakfast favorites, such as classic breakfast items, homemade sausage patties, and biscuits and gravy.
Educational and Cultural Experiences
At the Cass County Museum & Historical Society, located on Minnesota Ave., the whole family can learn about the history of Cass County and how it relates to the history of the entire state of Minnesota. In front of the museum, you can visit the Circle of Time Monument, which features statues in a circle formation depicting people from different eras in history.
Inside the museum, you can learn what a typical kitchen in the late 1800s looks like, complete with a wood stove, butter churn, and other necessities. Learn what kind of tools blacksmiths, coopers, cobblers, wheelwrights, carpenters, and loggers used back in the day.
Also, on Minnesota Ave., the Walker Bay Theater promotes family entertainment and youth theater. They present dramatic plays and musicals that educate and inspire appreciation of the culture and heritage of the United States. Past productions included children’s theater favorites, such as Prairie Songs from Laura Ingalls Wilder, Little Women, and Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.
Family Fun at Leech Lake in Walker, MN
If bonding with nature is number one on your family’s entertainment list, Leech Lake in Walker, MN, is a great place to do so. With the availability of the Chippewa National Forest, biking, hiking, or riding through trails, and an opportunity to swim, fish, and boat in one of Minnesota’s many lakes, communing with nature should be checked off with ease.
If you need a break from outdoor activities, Walker has a variety of family-friendly fun and dining experiences you can take part in. In addition, indoor ice skating and cultural experiences are right in the heart of Walker for your enjoyment. Contact us today for more information about Leech Lake’s family-friendly fun. Let us help you find the perfect place to stay.