2021 Minnesota Hunting Season!
It’s Hunting Season!
Summer may be over on Leech Lake, but not only is football back — it’s almost time for Leech Lake hunting!
Many Minnesotans hunt to immerse themselves in nature, create memories and traditions with families and friends, and, of course, for food. Before you make your plans for hunting near Leech Lake this fall, make sure you know the dates and regulations! We’ve summarized the details you need to know below regarding waterfowl.
Waterfowl hunting in Minnesota:
The waterfowl hunting season start date and duration depend on the type of bird where you’re hunting. The regions for Minnesota break down as follows:
North Zone- Everything above Highway 210
Central Zone- Everything between Highway 210 and Highway 212
South Zone- All of Minnesota below Highway 212
Here are the hunting season dates for duck, coots, and mergansers:
- North Zone- September 25th through November 23rd
- Central Zone- September 25th through October 3rd and October 9th through November 28th
- South Zone- September 25th through October 3rd and October 9th through November 28th
Here are the hunting season dates for geese:
- North Zone- September 25th through December 24th
- Central Zone-September 25th through October 3rd and October 9th through December 29th
- South Zone- September 25th through October 3rd and October 9th through December 29th
You also need to know the limitations and regulations for hunting waterfowl near Leech Lake.For example, the following species of ducks come with a daily limit per hunter:
- Mallards: 4, including two hens
- Wood duck: 3
- Redhead: 2
- Canvasback: 2
- Black duck: 2
- Pintail: 1
- All others: 6
Other waterfowl carry the following limitations:
- Coots and moorhen: 15
- Mergansers: 5, and no more than two of them may be hooded mergansers
Geese species also have daily limitations per hunter for all three regions of Minnesota, including Leech Lake:
- Canadian, White-fronted, Brant 5
- Snow, Blue Snow, Ross’s 20
And when planning your Leech Lake hunting trip, don’t forget the possession limitation for any waterfowl is limited to no more than three times the daily limit. On opening day, you may not possess more than the designated daily limit of any waterfowl.